Friday, January 29, 2010

Two PRs Thursday

Was doing power cleans from the high blocks this afternoon and stalled out at 80kg. So I switched over to clean pulls/power shrugs for triples. Worked up to 200kg for a couple of sets of doubles. That's more weight than I've had on the bar since I can remember. So I'm calling it a PR. Then  I sat down and visited with one of our masters lifters who had dropped by to touch base.

About a half hour later I still wasn't sure what I was going to do for my kettlebell 10 minutes. I threw around a set or two of snatches with the 20kg and it felt alright so I thought I would go for 200 reps in 10 minutes with one hand switch.

I didn't monitor the clock closely for pace so when I looked up at 100 reps and saw that I was at 4:30 I was thrilled...I could back off the pace on the switch. But I hit 200 at a 9:30 so I didn't really slow that much. Now I had 30 seconds I had to kill before I put the bell down. My grip was cooked though, so no more snatches, so I finished the 30 seconds with some low amplitude 2 hand swings.

This was a real, I've never done it before PR. Not an age group PR or bodyweight PR. What I like about it most is, it means I can pass the RKC snatch test for Masters (100 reps in 5 minutes with a 20kg bell) without even switching hands.

Oh yeah. I might be getting bad. Even at 52.

2 comments:

  1. Great Job Coach Handy!!!

    Never too old for PRs.

    All the best,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete